Peter Franchot is Maryland’s Comptroller and tasked with pretty much all things financial. Primarily he collects taxes and sits on the powerful three member Board of Public Works that doles out the dollars!
This week, we sat down with Franchot to talk about his aggressive stance on fraudulent tax preparers who are getting Marylanders in trouble. We also talk about computer fraud and why the legislature will not give his office the power to go after criminals who file thousands of fraudulent returns–it’s the “good ole boy network.”
Aside from that, Franchot was a force to be reckoned with to have schools start after Labor Day and getting much needed air conditioning in aging Baltimore City and County schools.
After representing Montgomery County in the House of Delegates, Franchot has been Comptroller for nearly a decade. He reaches across party lines and finds a way to get things done. Is this man playing the long game for a Gubernatorial run in 2018 or 2022? Tune in and find out….or not!
Nourishment for this episode provided by absolutely no one! We left starving and in search of a hot dog from Pip’s Dogs!
Thank you to everyone who wrote with suggestions for upcoming episodes. We are on it.
Next week we talk pot! We will be talking to the organizers of the National Cannabis Festival which will be held on April 22nd in DC. We will hit on all you need to know as the weed becomes legal in Maryland. Looking ahead–Travis Pastrana, Congressmen Anthony Brown and John Sarbanes, St. John’s College President Chris Nelson, the new developers of Crystal Spring …now knows as Providence Point, and much more!
BIG NEWS: We are now on the app tunein. So if you use tunein…well… tune in. As an added bonus, if you have an Amazon Echo—you can say “Alexa, play The Maryland Crabs Podcast” and she will fetch the latest episode from tunein. How cool is that?
We are now on iHeartRADIO! So if you listen to iHeartRADIO, you can listen, rate, share, subscribe, favorite right there. Here’s the direct link!
If you are just joining us…. make sure you check out some (or all) of our previous episodes? You really should. They could change your life. Granted, your life would have to be pretty bad. But still, we have some gems you will want to check out! Most recently….
- Alex Pline. OK, so you may not know the name unless you are an avid biker; but he is an Annapolitan that sits on the City’s Transportation Board and sheds some insight into what many perceive as madness with the City’s new parking contractor–SP+. We also talk about biking in Maryland and where it needs to go!
- Mayoral Candidate Mike Pantelides talks about his upcoming re-election campaign. He takes off his Mayor’s hat, loosens his tie and talks about why and how he will win another 4 years in November of 2017.
- Rushern Baker, III, the Prince George’s County Executive sat down with us to talk about how well the County is doing after being pretty much at the bottom of the barrel. His predecessor was indicted, arrested, and served time in prison for corruption, the murder rate was out of control, and because the FBI was still investigating people, he had to fire the entire management of the county and start fresh! Now we talk MGM Grand, Harborplace, Westphalia, and the time his mom called him to make sure he wasn’t the one in jail.
- Gavin Buckley comes back to the Crabs now that his campaign is in full swing and lays out his vision for Annapolis as he looks to unseat the incumbent Mayor, Mike Pantelides in this year’s election! Can an Aussie handle an American colonial town? Put a shrimp on the barbie, grab some vegamite and have a listen!
- Chase Cook. He’s the eyes and ears of The Capital for the City of Annapolis and he sat down and talked about the firing of the Annapolis Police Chief, the issue with public housing, undocumented residents, and the Mayor’s chance to win re-election!
Oh hell…just go back and listen to the ones you haven’t heard! And PLEASE be sure to tell your friends about us!
Wanna touch base? Got a suggestion? Criticism? Want to be a guest? Have an idea for a guest? …send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also hit us up on Twitter at @MDCrabsPodcast. We have no lives, so hearing from listeners really makes our day.
PLEASE Click to rate us and leave a comment on Google Play or iTunes! That would go a long way to getting our podcast out there! While you are there—why not subscribe and have it delivered right to your device?
If you want to find us, click on the links below:
- Facebook Page – The Maryland Crabs (Page)
- Facebook Group – The Maryland Crabs (Group)
- Twitter – @MDCrabsPodcast
- Email – email@example.com
- Website – www.themarylandcrabs.com