Eastport Landing: A conversation with the developer of a controversial project in the heart of Annapolis (E-34)
The Eastportaricans are all fired up. Someone has proposed building 127 apartments adjacent and attached to the Eastport Shopping Center and they are up in arms.
The end of the shopping center under consideration is largely vacant and the developers, Solstice Partners, are looking to include (in addition to the 127 apartments) a marketplace, some retail shops, gathering places, a LEED building, landscaping and an improved runoff situation.
The opponents are upset that the traffic will be too much. They are upset at the height of the building. They are upset that there will be 127 more residential units in Eastport. Everyone has a solution.
So, we sat down with Jeff Jacobson and asked him the questions. We listened to his vision. The work that has been done so far, and how they plan to engage the community to make it a true community development. And we asked about other uses for the property. It should be noted that Solstice Partners is an EQUITY partner with the center’s owners. They are not going to build and run. They are part of, and will remain part of the community.
Take a listen and learn. In our opinion, this has the potential to be a fantastic addition to the Eastport community with very little downside.
Learn more at:
Nourishment for this episode comes by way of no one. This conversation ran long and we were hangry after it was done!
Thank you to everyone who wrote with suggestions for upcoming episodes. We are on it.
Hey, before you zone out—do us a favor. Head over to iTunes, Google Play or wherever you listen to us and leave us a rating and if you have time a comment. Not only does it elevate (or shatter) our egos, it really helps with getting the word out about this podcast. Thanks!
Next week–we shift gears and talk to US Representative Anthony Brown. He called us, so we will see what’s up. I am sure we will hit on the ACA, President Trump and what it means for Maryland, and just catch up to see how things are going in Washington!
Looking ahead–Travis Pastrana, Congressman John Sarbanes, St. John’s College President Chris Nelson, the new developers of Crystal Spring …now known as Providence Point, a VERY frank discussion on opioid addiction and the crisis Maryland is facing, an incredible chat with the sponsor of the USS Sioux City–one of the Navy’s newest battleships and much more!
BIG NEWS: We are on Stitcher Radio now too. See you can’t turn around without finding a place to catch The Maryland Crabs
OLD NEWS: We are now on the app tunein. So if you use tunein…well… tune in. As an added bonus, if you have an Amazon Echo—you can say “Alexa, play The Maryland Crabs Podcast” and she will fetch the latest episode from tunein. How cool is that?
We are now on iHeartRADIO! So if you listen to iHeartRADIO, you can listen, rate, share, subscribe, favorite right there. Here’s the direct link!
If you are just joining us…. make sure you check out some (or all) of our previous episodes? You really should. They could change your life. Granted, your life would have to be pretty bad. But still, we have some gems you will want to check out! Most recently….
- Marijuana! We spoke with Caroline Phillips who is a marijuana advocate and the founder of the National Cannabis Festival happening on 4/22. We talk about what is on the horizon for Maryland as we move into uncharted territory.We talk about the ridiculous (and comical) laws in DC surrounding marijuana, and a whole lot more! If you are curious about the changes–this is a must-listen episode!
- Maryland’s Comptroller, Peter Franchot was with us last week and pulled no punches. He explained what the hell it is he does besides collect the taxes and issue the refunds. He gave us some insight to how he is handling the increased fraud cases and explained how irritated he is with the legislature that will not allow him to do more! We also talked about his efforts to get AC in the Baltimore schools and making schools start after Labor Day statewide!
- Alex Pline. OK, so you may not know the name unless you are an avid biker; but he is an Annapolitan that sits on the City’s Transportation Board and sheds some insight into what many perceive as madness with the City’s new parking contractor–SP+. We also talk about biking in Maryland and where it needs to go!
- Mayoral Candidate Mike Pantelides talks about his upcoming re-election campaign. He takes off his Mayor’s hat, loosens his tie and talks about why and how he will win another 4 years in November of 2017.
- Rushern Baker, III, the Prince George’s County Executive sat down with us to talk about how well the County is doing after being pretty much at the bottom of the barrel. His predecessor was indicted, arrested, and served time in prison for corruption, the murder rate was out of control, and because the FBI was still investigating people, he had to fire the entire management of the county and start fresh! Now we talk MGM Grand, Harborplace, Westphalia, and the time his mom called him to make sure he wasn’t the one in jail.
Wanna touch base? Got a suggestion? Criticism? Want to be a guest? Have an idea for a guest? …send us an email at email@example.com
You can also hit us up on Twitter at @MDCrabsPodcast. We have no lives, so hearing from listeners really makes our day.
PLEASE Click to rate us and leave a comment on Google Play or iTunes! That would go a long way to getting our podcast out there! While you are there—why not subscribe and have it delivered right to your device?
If you want to find us, click on the links below:
- Facebook Page – The Maryland Crabs (Page)
- Facebook Group – The Maryland Crabs (Group)
- Twitter – @MDCrabsPodcast
- Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website – www.themarylandcrabs.com