Hello America, we have a heroin and opioid problem. That should be news to no-one. But do you really know how bad it is? Or how bad it can get? This week we talk with Angel Traynor who is a recovering addict who hit her rock bottom several years ago after losing her home, business, family, and friends. After she spent time in and out of prison. But now, her story, combined with her actions is truly making a difference in the lives of those affected by heroin and opioid addiction.
We talk about her experience, her new passion in Serenity Sistas, the programs in place to help those in need and the ever-growing statistics that are plaguing Maryland!
How You Can Help:
- Attend Hoops For Hope on Sunday April 30th at AACC and cheer on the cops or the recovering addicts as they battle it out on the basketball court!
- Stop by Chevy’s Fresh Mex on Wednesday May 3rd, to grab a bite to eat. Burritos for Beds is an initiative of the Samaritan House, and Chevy’s will be serving up breakfast from 7-10am
- Serenity Sistas
- Prevent Substance Abuse
- Samaritan House
- Recovery Anne Arundel
- The Not My Child Resource Kit
We referenced a previous episode with Anne Arundel County State’s Attorney Wes Adams a few times in this podcast. Here is a direct link to his episode!
Also, this video, produced by Anne Arundel County is a must-see. Not My Child.
Thank you to everyone who wrote with suggestions for upcoming episodes. We are on it.
Hey, before you zone out—do us a favor. Head over to Apple Podcasts (formerly iTunes), Google Play or wherever you listen to us and leave us a rating and if you have time a comment. Not only does it elevate (or shatter) our egos, it really helps with getting the word out about this podcast. Thanks!
Looking ahead–Travis Pastrana, Congressman John Sarbanes, St. John’s College President Chris Nelson, the new developers of Crystal Spring …now known as Providence Point, a chat with the sponsor of the USS Sioux City–one of the Navy’s newest battleships and much more!
BIG NEWS: We are on Stitcher Radio now too. See you can’t turn around without finding a place to catch The Maryland Crabs
OLD NEWS: We are now on the app tunein. So if you use tunein…well… tune in. As an added bonus, if you have an Amazon Echo—you can say “Alexa, play The Maryland Crabs Podcast” and she will fetch the latest episode from tunein. How cool is that?
We are now on iHeartRADIO! So if you listen to iHeartRADIO, you can listen, rate, share, subscribe, favorite right there. Here’s the direct link!
If you are just joining us…. make sure you check out some (or all) of our previous episodes? You really should. They could change your life. Granted, your life would have to be pretty bad. But still, we have some gems you will want to check out! Most recently….
- Congressman Anthony Brown sat down with the Crabs last week and talked about the Affordable Care Act under President Trump, the proposed slashing of funding to the Chesapeake Bay, military spending, and a little bit about his time with former Maryland Governor O’Malley and if he is ready to challenge President Trump in 2020.
- Eastport Landing. The NIMBYS are alive and well and have proclaimed there shall be no development in Eastport. Well, that may not be possible, responsible, or even legal…so rather than ranting and raving, why not listen to the guy who is proposing to renovate and bring something new to an aging strip shopping center in Eastport.
- Marijuana! We spoke with Caroline Phillips who is a marijuana advocate and the founder of the National Cannabis Festival happening on 4/22. We talk about what is on the horizon for Maryland as we move into uncharted territory.We talk about the ridiculous (and comical) laws in DC surrounding marijuana, and a whole lot more! If you are curious about the changes–this is a must-listen episode!
- Maryland’s Comptroller, Peter Franchot was with us last week and pulled no punches. He explained what the hell it is he does besides collect the taxes and issue the refunds. He gave us some insight to how he is handling the increased fraud cases and explained how irritated he is with the legislature that will not allow him to do more! We also talked about his efforts to get AC in the Baltimore schools and making schools start after Labor Day statewide!
- Alex Pline. OK, so you may not know the name unless you are an avid biker; but he is an Annapolitan that sits on the City’s Transportation Board and sheds some insight into what many perceive as madness with the City’s new parking contractor–SP+. We also talk about biking in Maryland and where it needs to go!
- Mayoral Candidate Mike Pantelides talks about his upcoming re-election campaign. He takes off his Mayor’s hat, loosens his tie and talks about why and how he will win another 4 years in November of 2017.
Oh hell…just go back and listen to the ones you haven’t heard! And PLEASE be sure to tell your friends about us!
Wanna touch base? Got a suggestion? Criticism? Want to be a guest? Have an idea for a guest? …send us an email at email@example.com
You can also hit us up on Twitter at @MDCrabsPodcast. We have no lives, so hearing from listeners really makes our day.
PLEASE Click to rate us and leave a comment on Google Play or iTunes! That would go a long way to getting our podcast out there! While you are there—why not subscribe and have it delivered right to your device?
If you want to find us, click on the links below:
- Facebook Page – The Maryland Crabs (Page)
- Facebook Group – The Maryland Crabs (Group)
- Twitter – @MDCrabsPodcast
- Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website – www.themarylandcrabs.com