It happens every year. Winter goes away and spring arrives along with all of the festivals. Over the summer, we will highlight a few of the best festivals around so stay tuned for our insight into the fests you need to keep on your calendar as we talk with the folks that bring them all to you!
First up is the Naptown BarBAYq which is happening this Saturday, May 6th at the Anne Arundel County Fairgrounds. The BarBAYq is put together by ABC Events who are also the force behind the Maryland Chicken Wing Festival (and yes we talk abou that), the Bay Bridge Paddle, and the Maryland Seafood Festival! Listen to Brendan Curley as he talks about their mission and how they are changing things up all the time to keep it fresh.
In the middle, we speak with Kevin Chaney who is the Emcee for the Annapolis Irish Festival which rolls into town on June 2nd and 3rd this year. We talk about the origins of the festival and how it has grown over the years since Eddie McGowan founded it in 2011. What is new for this year (spoiler…Guinness) and how they have contributed and given back to the community.
Finally, Brendan Curley joins us again to talk about the Maryland Seafood Festival. This is happening on September 9th and 10th and is a very special one this year–the festival is 50 years old. We talk about the history from City Dock to Sandy Point. The famous crab soup cook off and much more!
Throughout the summer, we will also look at the upcoming Annapolis Arts Week and the Annapolis Arts & Wine Festival, Kegs & Corks Beer and Wine Festival, and the Nextival, so make sure you subscribe to us to get all the 411 sent right to your phone!
Thank you to everyone who wrote with suggestions for upcoming episodes. We are on it.
Hey, before you zone out—do us a favor. Head over to Apple Podcasts (formerly iTunes), Google Play or wherever you listen to us and leave us a rating and if you have time a comment. Not only does it elevate (or shatter) our egos, it really helps with getting the word out about this podcast. Thanks!
Looking ahead–Travis Pastrana, Congressman John Sarbanes, St. John’s College President Chris Nelson, the new developers of Crystal Spring …now known as Providence Point, a chat with the sponsor of the USS Sioux City–one of the Navy’s newest battleships, the Baltimore Ravens, and the final (we think) Mayoral Candidate for Annapolis–Nevin Young! Plus, we have much more in the works!
BIG NEWS: We are on Stitcher Radio now too. See you can’t turn around without finding a place to catch The Maryland Crabs
OLD NEWS: We are now on the app tunein. So if you use tunein…well… tune in. As an added bonus, if you have an Amazon Echo—you can say “Alexa, play The Maryland Crabs Podcast” and she will fetch the latest episode from tunein. How cool is that?
We are now on iHeartRADIO! So if you listen to iHeartRADIO, you can listen, rate, share, subscribe, favorite right there. Here’s the direct link! We are working on Spotify!
If you are just joining us…. make sure you check out some (or all) of our previous episodes? You really should. They could change your life. Granted, your life would have to be pretty bad. But still, we have some gems you will want to check out! Most recently….
- Angel Traynor from Serenity Sistas talks to the crabs about her addiction and recovery. How she went from jailhouse to running a company that provides transitional housing for recovering men and women. Hear about our heroin epidemic from someone on the front lines!
- Congressman Anthony Brown sat down with the Crabs last week and talked about the Affordable Care Act under President Trump, the proposed slashing of funding to the Chesapeake Bay, military spending, and a little bit about his time with former Maryland Governor O’Malley and if he is ready to challenge President Trump in 2020.
- Eastport Landing. The NIMBYS are alive and well and have proclaimed there shall be no development in Eastport. Well, that may not be possible, responsible, or even legal…so rather than ranting and raving, why not listen to the guy who is proposing to renovate and bring something new to an aging strip shopping center in Eastport.
- Marijuana! We spoke with Caroline Phillips who is a marijuana advocate and the founder of the National Cannabis Festival happening on 4/22. We talk about what is on the horizon for Maryland as we move into uncharted territory.We talk about the ridiculous (and comical) laws in DC surrounding marijuana, and a whole lot more! If you are curious about the changes–this is a must-listen episode!
- Maryland’s Comptroller, Peter Franchot was with us last week and pulled no punches. He explained what the hell it is he does besides collect the taxes and issue the refunds. He gave us some insight to how he is handling the increased fraud cases and explained how irritated he is with the legislature that will not allow him to do more! We also talked about his efforts to get AC in the Baltimore schools and making schools start after Labor Day statewide!
- Alex Pline. OK, so you may not know the name unless you are an avid biker; but he is an Annapolitan that sits on the City’s Transportation Board and sheds some insight into what many perceive as madness with the City’s new parking contractor–SP+. We also talk about biking in Maryland and where it needs to go!
Oh hell…just go back and listen to the ones you haven’t heard! And PLEASE be sure to tell your friends about us!
Wanna touch base? Got a suggestion? Criticism? Want to be a guest? Have an idea for a guest? …send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also hit us up on Twitter at @MDCrabsPodcast. We have no lives, so hearing from listeners really makes our day.
PLEASE Click to rate us and leave a comment on Google Play or iTunes! That would go a long way to getting our podcast out there! While you are there—why not subscribe and have it delivered right to your device?
If you want to find us, click on the links below:
- Facebook Page – The Maryland Crabs (Page)
- Facebook Group – The Maryland Crabs (Group)
- Twitter – @MDCrabsPodcast
- Email – email@example.com
- Website – www.themarylandcrabs.com